Mike Ilitch, owner of Detroit Tigers and Red Wings, dies at age 87

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Ilitch, owner of Detroit Tigers and Red Wings, dies at age 87

Billionaire businessman Mike Ilitch, who founded the Little Caesars pizza empire before buying the Detroit Red Wings and the Detroit Tigers and who won praise for keeping the professional sports teams in the city as others relocated to new suburban stadiums, has died. He was 87.

His family released a statement saying Ilitch died Friday at a local hospital. They called him a visionary who set the tone for his company and his family.

"He made such a positive impact in the world of sports, in business and in the community, and we will remember him for his unwavering commitment to his employees, his passion for Detroit, his generosity to others and his devotion to his family and friends," his son Christopher Ilitch, president and CEO of Ilitch Holdings Inc., said in the statement.

Family spokesman Doug Kuiper confirmed the death, but no other details were provided.

Former President George W. Bush, also the onetime owner of the Texas Rangers, was among those who offered condolences Friday night.

"Mike was a great citizen of our country, a self-made man with talent, drive, and a huge heart," Bush said in a statement. "My favorite memories with Mike are of our discussions about our shared love, baseball. Another of Mike's passions was his beloved Detroit. He generously gave back to his city and made it a better place. Most of all, Mike loved his family a lot."

Tampa Bay Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman, who won three Stanley Cups as a Red Wings player and another as a team executive, said he was "extremely saddened" to hear about Ilitch's death.

"Both Mr. and Mrs. Ilitch, as well as their entire family, have had an immeasurable impact on not only my career, but my life," Yzerman said in a statement. "Going back to the age of 18 when I arrived in Detroit, the guidance, generosity, concern and love Mr. Ilitch had always shown me and my family are things I will forever be grateful for.

"Mr. Ilitch has left an incredible legacy in baseball, hockey and Metropolitan Detroit. He will forever be remembered for all the ways he enriched our lives. Mike Ilitch will live on vividly in my mind and heart forever."

Tigers manager Brad Ausmus, who worked for Ilitch as a player and manager, said, "It was an honor to work for a man who made winning the priority. Baseball is a business, but Mr. I was a baseball player who became a businessman. He loved baseball, and my memories will always be centered around the passion with which he talked about it."

Second baseman Ian Kinsler also offered an appreciation of Ilitch.

"I appreciated what Mr. Ilitch stood for," he told ESPN via text message. "I'm thankful for the opportunity to play under his ownership and feel the passion, along with the people of Detroit, that he had for his two sports franchises."

Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred called Ilitch "a model owner."

"He was also a fierce believer in his home city of Detroit, and the role that the Tigers and sports played in contributing to civic pride and renewal," Manfred said in a statement. "Mr. Ilitch led a decorated life of service to his country, accomplishment in business and philanthropy in all of his endeavors. He was also extremely supportive of me both personally and professionally. On behalf of all of Major League Baseball and Mr. Ilitch's countless friends and admirers throughout the game, I extend my deepest condolences to his wife Marian and their entire family, the Tigers organization, their fans and his fellow citizens of Detroit."
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...gs-dies-age-87
Working...
X