Frank Gifford, NFL Hall of Famer, dies at 84

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank Gifford, NFL Hall of Famer, dies at 84

Pro Football Hall of Famer Frank Gifford has died. He was 84.

In a statement released by NBC News on Sunday, his family said Gifford died suddenly at his Connecticut home of natural causes that morning.

Gifford was the NFL's Most Valuable Player in 1956, when he led the New York Giants to a league championship.

"We rejoice in the extraordinary life he was privileged to live, and we feel grateful and blessed to have been loved by such an amazing human being," his family said in the statement. "We ask that our privacy be respected at this difficult time and we thank you for your prayers."

Gifford was the centerpiece of a Giants offense that went to five NFL title games in the 1950s and '60s. Beginning in 1971 he worked for ABC's "Monday Night Football," at first as a play-by-play announcer and then as an analyst.

"Frank Gifford was the ultimate Giant," team president John Mara said in a statement. "He was the face of our franchise for so many years. More importantly, he was a treasured member of our family. My father loved him like a son and was proud to act as his presenter for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, a favor Frank returned years later by presenting my father in Canton.

"For my siblings and me, Frank was like a revered older brother whom we looked up to and admired. We loved him and will miss him terribly."

Giants chairman Steve Tisch said in a statement that Gifford "will always be remembered as a Giants' Giant."

Later in life he stayed in the spotlight through his marriage to Kathie Lee Gifford, who famously called him a "human love machine" and "lamb-chop" to her millions of viewers.

Gifford hosted "Wide World of Sports," covered several Olympics -- his call of Franz Klammer's gold medal run in 1976 is considered a broadcasting masterpiece -- and announced 588 consecutive NFL games for ABC, not even taking time off after the death of his mother shortly before a broadcast in 1986.
Working...
X